Yesterday I published a post called “Hangin’ with My Gnomie, Brian Wilson Gnome, That Is” on my personal blog. Today it ranks #4 on Google search results for the keyword phrase “at&t park lines brian wilson gnome“.
Wow! I got ranked very high! And in less than 24 hours!
How did I do it?
- I put the keywords in my post title, which also end up in my post link.
- The keywords are in the first few sentences of my post. “Brian Wilson’s gnome made a huge splash at Giant Stadium Sunday. 20,000 people got the gnome! And I was one of them! He is out this year but that didn’t keep people away from AT&T park on Sunday. I heard some people stood in line since 8 am to get the Brian Wilson gnome.“
- I used the keywords as tags. “att park” and “brian wilson gnome“.
Nobody is looking for those keywords.
Sure I rank #4 for those particular words. But, really, who is looking for “att park lines brian wilson gnome”? Nobody. Or at least Google tells me nobody is. Ok, at least one person did and they came to my blog. That is how I know about the keywords, blogger tells me the search keywords that brings people to my blog.
When you hear about SEO companies or professionals telling you that they can get you ranked on the first page of Google in a very short span of time, beware. (Heck, I can get you ranked high in Google too and I am no professional.) Be sure people are actually looking for those keywords. That is the key: use keywords that people are looking for. Then work to get ranked for those.
Sure I may get a few more hits from that keyword phrase over at my little blogger blog. But I can guarantee the visitors won’t stick around when they realize they are reading a mom blog! LOL.
If you need help with SEO I wrote some posts about it:
And if you really need an in-depth research tool I use Market Samurai. It hasn’t steered me wrong yet.
Latest posts by Allie (see all)
- Getting Closer to Your Readers and Customers with an Email List - May 21, 2013
- Getting More Fans by Linking Your Facebook Page to Your Profile - May 16, 2013
- Online WAHM Marketing: Start Your Email List Today - May 14, 2013