Step by Step Blogging for WAHMs
Welcome new blogger!
Blogging is the most popular way to get your content for your business or personal ideas out to the general masses on the internet.
But what is a blog? It started as a “weblog” back in the old days, the 90′s! That breaks down to “web” and “log”. A log or journal on the web. Meaning it is in chronological order. That’s simple. As if weblog isn’t short enough, it needed to be shortened to “blog”. And there we are, the easiest, fastest, most economic way to get your point across on the web.
When I started blogging I wish someone would have just given me a list and said start here. Either I couldn’t find that information or it just doesn’t exist. Who knows. I am here to let you know what steps I took and the order in which I did them in.
I decided to make this a series. I researched my notes and like a journal they tell me what steps I took and when. I am going to share what I did and hopefully catch up to what I am doing now.
Below are the very basic first steps. Take your time, don’t rush. I rushed into blogging and social networking quickly and became confused. Get to know each section and then move on when you are comfortable.
Grab my FREE Blogging Check List Here to help you every step of the way
Let’s start. Numbers 1 & 2 happen simultaneously, to have a host you need a platform to let the host know where your blog’s content will be going.
1. Domain Name and Host
Register your domain name and find a host for your blog’s files, images, plug-ins and anything else you put within your blog. I use Bluehost who registered my domain name and hosts my blog. There are companies you can go to that will only register your blog domain name and you will need to find a separate company to host your blog but, honestly, they are few and far between. Most companies do both now.
2. Blog Platform
WordPress and Blogger are the most popular platforms in blogging. There are many others but as of today most bloggers use one of the 2 above. I decided to have a blog powered by WordPress.
WordPress has many more options in terms of themes and plug-ins. (Side note: WordPress.com is the platform for people that have WordPress host their blog. The link will be look like : “www.blog.wordpress.com“. It is free to have a blog hosted by WordPress.com, but it is mandatory you have the WordPress name within your domain name. On the other hand, WordPress.org is for blogs with their domain hosted elsewhere and the blog, aka domain, name will be without the “wordpress” in it. Like “www.ramblingsofawahm.com“. )
Get a separate email from your personal one. Preferably one that encompasses your domain name. This is especially important if you are starting or running a business through your blog. Gmail is a great place to start also.
It is very easy to set up an email:
4. Start Writing
This seems odd without your blog looking absolutely perfect but I am going to tell you from experience, start writing posts immediately. Have content. Content is king. (Blog cliche, sorry.) Your blog can be the best looking blog on the block but nobody will come and stay to read if there is no content. You do not need to post what you write yet but have a few posts written and ready for your launch.
If you want to post right away that is fine also. You do not need to wait to officially launch your blog. I do recommend having content take precedence over the appearance of your blog for one main reason, Google doesn’t care what your blog looks like; it doesn’t care if you have ponies and kitties or award winning graphics. Google will care about how old your content is. The older your blog, the more authority you have in Google’s eyes. Think of it as setting down roots. So post away and fix the appearance as you go.
The Whole Series:
- #1 New Bloggers Start Here 4 simple starting out guidelines.
- #2 Getting Social Starting BIG yet SLOW is the key for beginners.
- #3 Content is King But Appearance Rules Does your blog look awesome?
- #4 Submitting Your Blog to Search Engines Don’t wait for the search engines to find you, let them know you exist.
- #5 WP Plugins for New Blogs Plugins We Can’t Blog Without
- #6 Email List Building Harness the Love. Start your newsletter/email list as soon as possible.
- #7 Image Essentials for New Bloggers Places to Find Free and Inexpensive But Quality Images for your Blog
- #8 Tedious Yet Necessary Blog Chores We Love Blogging But Hate the Necessary Chores (They still need to be done.)
- #9 Reaching Your Blog Goals BLOG GOALS–>PLAN–>SCHEDULE–>ACTION
- #10 The End of the Series…But the Beginning of a Journey Tips and references to start your blogging journey
Latest posts by Allie (see all)
- Protecting Your WAHM Blog and Business Follow Up - May 23, 2013
- Getting Closer to Your Readers and Customers with an Email List - May 21, 2013
- Getting More Fans by Linking Your Facebook Page to Your Profile - May 16, 2013